We are looking for someone to help build better technical solutions for news.
The Tiny News Collective works to make news entrepreneurship accessible and achievable to more people from a much broader range of professional, educational and lived experiences than are currently represented in our media ecosystem. We provide the tools, resources and expertise to help people build sustainable news organizations that reflect and serve their communities. We support voices historically excluded from media and media ownership.
We look for deeply collaborative people who share our commitment to building a more equitable future for journalism. We welcome applicants from a broad range of professional and education backgrounds. If you feel like you’d be a good fit but you’re worried that your experience might not be exactly aligned with what we’ve posted in this job description, please consider applying anyway.
The software engineer develops and maintains the Tiny News Platform, which is a complete digital news publishing system, including web publishing, newsletters, membership, ads, analytics, comments and more. We hope to expand the platform into a SaaS product.
As a high-level individual contributor, the software engineer will innovate and develop new approaches to publishing for small news organizations. As the collective grows, we plan to grow the technology team significantly, providing the opportunity to mentor more junior engineers.
Position Type: Full-time
Location: Fully remote, must be able to work in United States
Team: The engineer will report to the director of technology and work with the technology team.
Application deadline: Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Deliver well-tested, maintainable, clean code across the full stack of the Tiny News Platform in an agile environment
- Participate in the architectural design of tools that scale to a high volume of newsrooms
- Maintain and monitor infrastructure supporting the Tiny News Platform, including Vercel deployments, AWS tooling, and GraphQL APIs on Hasura
- Proactively seek out and resolve technical debt, and identify potential improvements to the codebase
- Share and distribute knowledge with future engineers who onboard to the team as the Tiny News Collective grows
Skills, experience and interests
- You have working experience writing, testing, and maintaining code on both the server-side and the client-side
- You can work independently and collaboratively to deliver technical projects end-to-end
- You have experience using and creating either GraphQL or RESTful APIs
- You have experience with some AWS services such as Lambda, S3, EC2, and CloudFront
- You are comfortable working on a remotely distributed team
- You practice proactive communication skills and enjoy working on a highly collaborative team
- Bonus points if you have experience with:
- Test Driven Development (TDD)
- Pair programming or mob programming
- Employer-reimbursed medical, dental, and vision insurance
- TNC will provide the necessary equipment for this role
- 20 days paid vacation, not including health days
- 10 company holidays each year, in addition to the week between Christmas Day and New Year's Day
- 10 weeks of paid parental leave
- Flexible work schedule—TNC is a remote-first organization with team members in many time zones. Beyond the need for meetings and events we all need to be remotely present for, we are flexible with schedules and employees work wherever they see fit.
- An environment committed to human-centric approaches that allow us to deliver our best work. We foster supportive collaboration and sustainable growth.
- Making an impact in the media ecosystem
How to apply
Complete this form to apply.
- All applications are reviewed by a human on a rolling basis.
- Our process includes an interview with a hiring manager, a 2-3 hour take-home technical exercise, a technical exercise debrief, and a team interview. All interviews are virtual.
- If you move onto the technical interview stage, you will complete a technical exercise outside of the interview. Tiny News Collective values candidates’ time and will compensate you $200 for completing the exercise. The technical exercise is used for interviewing purposes only; it is not used for any other business purpose.
Have questions about the role or Tiny News Collective before you apply? Feel free to connect with us during office hours!
The Tiny News Collective is a proud equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, and we particularly encourage applications from candidates belonging to communities historically under-represented in the media ecosystem. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. It is our policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, creed, age, national origin, citizenship status, gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, disability, arrest or conviction record, pregnancy, credit history, salary history, caregiver status, marital status, partnership status, or status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking and sex offenses, religion, sex, genetic information, military status, unemployment status or any other characteristic as protected by law. With regard to the Americans with Disabilities Act and other related laws, we will endeavor to make reasonable accommodations for persons due to their religious beliefs; disability; pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition; or because the individual was a victim of domestic violence, sexual violence or stalking.
The Tiny News Collective is a collaborative project.
Questions? Fill out our form and we will get back to you as soon as possible.