We are looking for a finance professional to lead the fiscal sponsorship and membership program of The Tiny News Collective
The Tiny News Collective works to make news entrepreneurship accessible and achievable to more people from a much broader range of professional, educational and lived experiences than are currently represented in our media ecosystem. We provide the tools, resources and commonwealth of knowledge to help people build sustainable news organizations that reflect and serve their communities. We support voices historically excluded from media and media ownership.
We look for deeply collaborative people who share our commitment to building a more equitable future for local journalism. We welcome applicants from a broad range of professional and education backgrounds. If you feel like you’d be a good fit but you’re worried that your experience might not be exactly aligned with what we’ve posted in this job description, please consider applying anyway.
As the finance manager for the Tiny News Collective, you will play a key role in the ongoing finance function of the Collective and in developing, managing and innovating on our fiscal sponsorship offerings to members, clients, and partners. Fiscal sponsorship is a critical service for small local news organizations. As a 501(c)(3), the Tiny News Collective offers fiscal sponsorship to help founders broaden their opportunities for philanthropic support.
This position is responsible for managing the day-to-day needs of the organization and fiscal sponsorship program including recording income and disbursements, expense management, reconciliation, reporting, budgeting, and compliance oversight. The role will also be responsible for providing information about our services and responding to questions and support needs from donors and our fiscally sponsored organizations.
Many of our members and clients are new to running their businesses and new to the world of philanthropy. Key expectations for this role include explaining processes and supporting members and clients with instructive and clear communication. This role includes frequent interaction with our members, clients, donors and grant makers.
Tiny News Collective’s innovative approach to fiscal sponsorship means that we can support founders seamlessly with near real-time access to their fund balances, a straightforward disbursement request and review system, restricted fund management and online donations. We worked with MonkeyPod to build fiscal sponsorship into their nonprofit accounting platform. This technology makes it possible for TNC to provide these services at a lower cost and higher scale than any other organization in this space. You will be a key part of the leadership team with specific responsibilities as the stakeholder managing our ongoing partnership with MonkeyPod and directing the growth and evolution of our fiscal sponsorship program.
Position Type: Full-time
Location: Fully remote, must be able to work in United States
Team: The finance manager will work closely with and report to the executive director
Application deadline: Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis
- Perform transactional accounting on all income and expenses of the organization
- Month end close responsibilities, including adjusting journal entries, reconciliations, reporting, and forecasting
- Income management, including restriction tracking, transfers, allocations, and periodic reporting to Grantors
- Processing payments for vendor invoices and other service fees incurred
- Processing payroll for organizational employees and paying contractors
- Management of General Ledger (Monkey Pod) and Payroll (Gusto) platforms
- Provide oversight of organizational business and nonprofit compliance (federal, state, and local) and complete filings as applicable
- Lead on annual budgeting process of organization as well as annual audit and Form 990 preparation
- Serve as lead financial expert of the organization and key point of contact for members, clients, donors, and grantors
Fiscal Sponsor Program:
- Onboard members and clients and serve as advisor for financial matters at setup and ongoing
- Contribute to documentation and materials about the fiscal sponsorship program
- Provide details and answer questions from current and prospective fiscal sponsorship clients
- Manage direct disbursement and payments for vendor services and fees of sponsee
- Development of clear and concise program policies to maintain state and federal compliance
- Oversight of program compliance by ensuring all activities are in line with program policies, reviewing expenditure responsibility reports, and reviewing sponsee submitted budgets
- Management of all current fiscal sponsor agreements and renewals when applicable
- Management of the fiscal sponsor platform within Monkey Pod, including landing page creation
Skills, experience and interests
- You have a degree in accounting, finance or equivalent work experience.
- You have nonprofit financial management experience including budgeting, financial review and audits, monthly management and reporting.
- You are familiar with the fiscal sponsorship model of support being provided by the Collective and understand the accounting nuances and requirements.
- You are comfortable supporting people who are new to business management or have minimal financial management experience.
- You are comfortable explaining financial processes, creating documentation and answering questions.
- You are comfortable working with financial management tools and learning new software as needed.
- You are comfortable working with a fully remote team.
- You proactively communicate about your work.
- You are a collaborative listener and team member.
- You have the ability to adapt and adjust as we respond to founder needs.
- Employer-sponsored health and retirement plans.
- $500 annual technology and work tools allowance.
- 20 days paid vacation, not including health days.
- 10 company holidays each year, in addition to the week between Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
- 10 weeks of paid parental leave
- Flexible work schedule—TNC is an entirely remote organization with team members in many time zones. Beyond the need for meetings and events we all need to be remotely present for, we are flexible with schedules and employees work wherever they see fit.
How to apply
To apply, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Finance Manager." Please include a résumé, at least three references and a cover letter that addresses the following:
- What interests you about working with the Tiny News Collective?
- Tell us about your previous experience with financial management.
If you have questions about this position or want to speak with us before you apply, you can connect with us during office hours.
We review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Our process includes an informational interview and a final interview.